Understanding what is important to you in a cottage lifestyle matters! We think that it is important that you consider what type of cottage lifestyle you want to have before you even start your search. When each of us thinks about cottaging, we each envision an unique and different cottage lifestyle experience.
It is exciting to realize your dreams as you move toward cottage ownership, but it is also important to consider significant factors relative to the buying process. For example, ‘like’ properties will command different values based on a number of factors including size and quality of lake, exposure, access to amenities, and location, location, location! Your cottage lifestyle should reflect how you wish to spend your time in cottage country, however some of these additional considerations will begin to help you to make an informed and educated decision going forward.
- Have I thought about how my lifestyle choice will impact on resale value? How important is this to me in the short-term/long-term?
- How far do I want to drive? Am I willing to drive further to get more value for my money?
- Is the thought of taking a boat to my cottage exciting or not? What if there was better value for my money if I purchased a boat access cottage?
- Am I willing to travel by boat to get to a cottage that enjoys complete privacy?
- Do I want to escape into the quiet solitude of nature or am I more of a community person?
- Do I like to socialize? Is it ok to have neighbours near by?
- Do I enjoy the comfort of having neighbours nearby?
- Do I want a modest cottage or do I want a larger cottage that’s good for entertaining?
- Am I ok with having friends and family stay in the cottage with me when they visit or would I prefer to have small sleeping bunkies as an option?
- Do I enjoy adventure? What type of adventure – quiet exploration or motorized water sports?
- Does the type of waterfront matter to me? How will I use the waterfront?
- Do I enjoy beautiful sunsets or prefer the morning sun? Is exposure important to me?
- Do I love to spend days on end exploring in my speed boat or do I enjoy kayaking along the shoreline?
- Might I want to retire to my cottage in the next 5-10 years?
- Do I want a beautiful cottage and landscaped property? Do I have thoughts about how I would decorate my cottage?
- Do I want a modest cottage and a naturally landscaped property? I’m all about simpli city.
- Am I comfortable with odd jobs and renovations or do I want a cottage that is turnkey and low maintenance?
Understanding why your cottage lifestyle matters will help you tremendously when searching for that perfect property! It is worth taking some time to explore the type of cottage lifestyle that resonates with you and perhaps it is a combination of cottage lifestyles – that’s ok too! Creating a picture of what you want in a cottage and formulating this in your mind’s eye is a great first step in your cottage search. If this is a challenge for you, perhaps a conversation with Gary would help you to unpack your thoughts, ideas, wants and needs in a more concrete way. Buying cottage is exciting and you want to make sure that you truly understand what will work best for you in a cottage lifestyle today and in your future. Check out our cottage lifestyle pages to assist you in this part of the search process.